Men killed in separate train incidents
27, 2006 9:52 AM CDT
HOBART | Two men in their early 20s have been struck and killed by
trains in incidents about a week apart.
Seth Thomas, 23, was killed in an accident early Saturday morning,
Hobart police Detective Jeff White said.
Thomas' body was discovered by an eastbound train shortly before 8
a.m. Saturday, and the Norfolk & Southern train went into an emergency
braking mode, White said. It was apparent Thomas had been struck by a
previous train, although it is unclear at what time or by what train,
White said. Police believe the incident happened near the intersection
of Third and Wisconsin streets sometime after midnight.
"At this point, we don't know how it's going to be classified,"
This is the second such recent incident in Hobart. On Sept. 15, a
21-year-old Hobart man was struck and killed by a train on the Norfolk
& Southern tracks just east of Ash Street, White said. Police have not
released the victim's name in that incident, and it has not yet been
determined whether the incident was an accident or suicide.